Fake Christmas
It in no way feels like Christmas to me, and every attempt that I, or others around me have made to make this thing happening this weekend feel like Christmas is just a fraud and a sham. Plain and simple, Christmas was created by people in the northern hemisphere in cold climates and that is what it is meant for. This whole Christmas in the summer and in the southern hemisphere is so weird and as far as this elf is concerned, it is a disgrace to Christmas. Perhaps these are strong words, but dammit I miss Christmas in Boston/Maine and I am going to bitch about it.
My first issue is with the Christmas trees - they are all FAKE - literally all of them, I have not seen a single real tree. You may be saying to yourself, but Adele, maybe they do not have Christmas trees there - well let me tell you, they are EVERYWHERE and growing in perfect lines for that matter. The forrestry industry is huge here and pretty much all prevading, you have to go south or to the mountains to find anything even remotely resembling a natural forrest. But, when I ask my friends, students, and strangers on the street why they have fake trees, you know what their answer is...I dont want to waste a tree, and its not environmentally sound to have a real tree!?!?! WHAT!??! They will chop down thier natural forrest left and right for the sake of creating pulp, but they wont cut a few down to have the feel of a real Christmas. It is such crap, I am appaled, in case you can't tell. Now a fake tree is one thing, but they extend it to all green decorations, wreaths, misteltoe on the door...I even saw fake greenery with a ribbon on a door and the greens had fake snow on them!?! Hello, we are in the south there is no snow on the greens, please just accept that, but the least you could do is have some real greens when there is an overly abundant source of these greens in every forrested driection that you look.
The other thing that boggles my mind is that no one is excited for Christmas, most people have a simple dinner with thier family and give the kids gifts, saying that they came from Santa. Most adults dont even receive gifts, except maybe one from a spouse. No one sings Christmas carols and there are no lights up in front of peoples houses. Well with the light thing I realized one very important thing, in the north with light decorations, you turn the lights on at about 4/5pm becuase that is when it gets dark so there are many hours to enjoy the light displays. But here the sun does not set until about 9:15pm and its not really dark until 10pm, so the hours that one could enjoy the light displays is extremely limited and therefore not worth it. But this brings me to why I am looking forward to this Christmas.
As wierd as it may be, I am spending Christmas at the beach and it is going to be wonderful. I am renting a cabana on the beach with Cristian and Jill and John. The cabana will be fully equipt with a kitchen and a pool overlooking the ocean and the beach. I think it will be excellent - it is my little gift to myself, for those of you who gave me the gift of a few more dollars in my bank account, thank you. Part of your contribution will go towards making my Christmas more enjoyable as I drown my sorrows of missing the smell of fresh greens and the feel of the true Christmas spirit in suntan lotion and lounging by the pool.
Merry Christmas

2 Comments:
Too bad you we can't figure out what you think of Christmas in Chile! Now that I am lounging on New Yrs. morning and taking time to read your blog more fully, I have some questions. It sounds as if they make more of the day of the Virgin than they do of Christmas. It is interesting how the Catholics focus on Mary. I have to give them some credit for maintaining reverence for a female deity....or connection to deity. What happens when you talk to your Chilean friends about why they celebrate the way they do?
M
I think that people who are genuinely religious down here do make more of a deal of the Virgin than Jesus. I think that people also think of Christmas as a comercialized western holiday which is part of why they dont make a big deal of it.
Post a Comment
<< Home